Monday, April 30, 2012

My Mom's on Facebook -- Relationships Week 12





In this rather entertaining comedic song, we come across a relatively new development in familial relationships: parents and facebook (or any other social networking site).

Now, I’m not sure how many of you interact with your parents on facebook, or how much you share with them about the things you do when you’re not studying hard at school, but I do know that over the years I’ve discovered there are a lot of things that MY parents are better off NOT knowing. Don’t get me wrong, my parents are VERY cool, and VERY understanding, but there are some behaviors, like drinking and sex, that early in college I discovered were things that my parents didn’t need to know about.

The video above reinforces this discourse—that parents and children are better off not sharing too much of their lives. In fact, this video reproduces some very important discourses about how parents and their children should interact. This video reminds us that there should be limitations surrounding what parents and children know about one another and how “involved” they are in each others’ lives. “Children,” this discourse says, need boundaries with their parents; otherwise, they can’t really be themselves, which of course suggests that children are their “true” selves when they aren’t with their parents. Any chance this discourse facilitates boundaries in the relationships between parents and children?

As we see in the video, this discourse seems to be particularly prominent for mothers and their children. For while it is safe to assume that many fathers wouldn’t react well to seeing their sons (and CERTAINLY their daughters) “debauchery” on facebook, this video promotes the dominant discourse that it is moms as parents who are more likely to be nosy, more likely to try and “connect” with their children, and more likely to be upset by their behavior.

What I find particularly interesting about this video, though, is the way it presents discourses about how relationships between children and parents are changing as a result of social networking sites like facebook. This discourse, like so many others about the internet, reminds us that parents should be fearful/suspicious/on top of their children’s social networking, and reminds us that when “children” are being asked by mom or dad to be a “friend” on facebook—and likewise when they have to deal with the process of deciding whether to “confirm” or “ignore” them—they are going to feel uncomfortable and awkward. This video employs discourses which teach us that “confirming” mom might lead to “destroying all my [our] privacy,” and that social networking sites are going to be a place of tension between parents and their children. Parents need to "watch out" for what their kids are doing on the internet, and "kids" need to watch out for their parents getting too close and too involved with their lives.

3 comments:

  1. Facebook a huge part of our culture today. Almost everyone has one. It is used as an outlet for people to share their lives with the world, however the way that people present themselves on Facebook may not be the way that they want to be perceived by everyone. Parents and relatives especially. Sometimes, parts of our social lives that we share with friends may not be appropriate to share with family members.

    In this video, this guy was proud of all his posts about partying which he probably thinks makes him look "cool." However, when he adds his mom on facebook, he then becomes shameful of his posts and feels that his privacy has been violated and that he's being "cockblocked" by his mom because now he has to censor all his posts which decreases his coolness levels. With this discourse, there is a sense of trying to maintain a positive self image with his mother. I'm sure he loves his mother very much, but he simply does not want his mother to get involved with his social life. In his eyes, crossing his social life with family life will cause conflict with his identity.

    -Brian Oh

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I interestingly experienced a similar situation with my parents. I had continually denied there requests on Facebook because I didn't want them snooping around my pictures and my lifestyle In college. Upon further reevaluating my facebook I learned I was ashamed that my parents would see my partying pictures. I decided if I ashamed of that, image what future job opportunities would think if they saw that. I cleaned up my facebook and now have family and employers as friends. I think it's healthy to have family involved on Facebook because it reminds you to represent yourself professionally and to monitor your behavior. I am greatful to have a relationship with my mother and the discourses I assumed would make me cooler in fact jeopardized my future with how I was presenting myself.

    CSP420 Robyn Campbell

    ReplyDelete